Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Secret to Defeating Writer's Block

For those of you who like the six steps to overcoming just about anything, the solution to overcoming writer’s block might be unfulfilling.

There is no such thing as writer’s block. I’ve been a writer for almost 30 years now, and it’s never happened once. Never. There is no doctor's block. No policeman's block. No chef's block.

Writer's block is an excuse.

Writing is about clarity of expression, and clarity of expression begins with clarity of thought. If it’s not clear here [reader points to cranium], it won’t be clear there [reader points to keyboard, pencil or blank piece of paper].

If you’re experiencing “writer’s block,” you’re not ready to write.

There are formulas and there are seat-of-the-pants guys. I’m in group number two, but I help people in the first group all the time.

First, you must have something to say. Think it through. What does your audience like to read about? Write about that.

Consider everything you've read, and then prepare an outline. But don't start your outline until you've thought it through. An outline can be extraordinarily detailed so as to make your English teacher proud. Or it can be a post it note with a few key words or phrases.

It’s a map. More importantly, it’s your map. An outline will lead you from a thesis to point A, B and the magical land where conclusions frolic freely. If you start writing an outline before you're clear, you will begin a sad trip to nowhere.

With outline in hand, you're ready to start the speech, the presentation, the term paper, the thank you letter, the request for a promotion.

Write as fast as you can.

Follow your outline and fill in the hard details later. If you can’t remember a number, type NEED NUMBER and move on. Don’t stop to do a word count. Don’t stop to admire your work. The satisfaction of getting that first draft out of the way is enough.

Now you can take a breath. Go outside. Click on an ad on this blog. [smile]

Turns out that writer’s block is indeed a myth. You were ready to write, and out it came. It’s no different than sitting down to a blank card and expecting a sonnet to spring forth. You’ve got to think it through … regardless how deeply your love has grown.

A graduate student from Temple University once asked me, “What do you do for motivation when you don’t feel like writing?” I was prepared for the question, and luckily enough, I’d brought my mortgage bill with me.

Be clear. Be concise. Be done.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Tony. I've been a professional writer even longer. And while there are certainly days when the words are harder to find or seem to lack sparkle, the only time they fail to come at all is when I don't do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put, Tony ... & good to hear from you. It's been awhile but since I now work full-time as a writer, I appreciate thoughts on good writing. What you describe is what I often call my "skeleton method." Put up the bones & then flesh them out. I teach a course at Frederick Community College about characterization & have told my students the exact same thing ... writer's block does not exist.

    All the best ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, a sonnet sprung forth!

    Sonnet Writer

    This is a try to conquer something new.
    I think I need to stretch my brain a bit.
    I'll write one first, and then maybe a few
    More if I can. I don't think I can quit
    Making rhymes that others'd like to read;
    Might even try themselves if they are bold.
    Who knows where this new exercise might lead.
    I want to make a mark before I'm old.
    This guy who reads my stuff has made me think
    Of what I might be able to produce,
    To grow my mind, to take me to the brink
    Of some new place. I can't declare a truce
    On fighting time, of giving in to age.
    This is a war I'm now willing to wage.

    ReplyDelete